Day 55 - bartenders and bottles

Can anyone please tell me the difference between a corn chip and a tortilla chip? I ask because a few weeks ago it was Corn Chip Day, you may remember the exciting moment when I ate a packet of Doritos. That moment will no doubt win me a blogging award! Today was the separate and completely different Tortilla Chip Day.  I get it that corn chips are made of corn and tortilla chips are made of tortillas but tortillas are usually made from corn as well.  So what is the difference?  Is it that a tortilla chip had to be made from flour to stop them being corn chips? I celebrated today all the same by, you've guessed,  eating some tortilla chips. They weren't as nice  as Doritos but if they'd been slathered in salsa and melted cheese then they might have stood up to them. I might just have to have a few more to check. Son 1 made some rather good cheese scones (rhymes with John's, not Jones) and they provided a good textural accompaniment.

Today has also been World Bartender Day which you may have found out if you've been to a bar this evening.  Or maybe not. For a world celebration it isn't very well publicised. To help out I designed a sign which I shared on Twitter, it could be printed off and placed on your local bar to help spread the word. It has currently been viewed about 100 times but nobody has clicked on the link so I doubt if word is getting out. In case you don't follow me on Twitter my handle is @TheMikeHoughton and I use the hashtag #CelebrateEveryDay to accompany this blog. Bartenders the world over do an important job so it is important that we take a moment today to thank them!

Trading Card Day took place today. It is mainly an American event to celebrate baseball cards but it doesn't have to be. My son celebrated by trying to trade his Match Attax for cash. He has a load but doesn't have any interest in football so wants to get rid. Let me know if you're interested. He probably has a couple of hundred and is open to offers.  We also took the opportunity to prepare for Pokemon Day which will be taking place on Tuesday. He has his own cards but not enough to have a battle so I bought my own cards from the comic shop in town so that I can play with him. Bring on Jigglypuff! The shop also sells the same comics I used to read when I was a kid so I hope that there is a reminisce day. (As an aside, I paid 15p for a Charmander card which is currently listed on eBay for $55. I'll take $54 for it if anyone fancies it.)

I took a quick look on YouTube for sword swallower videos as it is World Sword Swallower's Day, but it ain't for me. I just don't get it. The idea makes me feel ill so I didn't even bother clicking on the links. Instead I'm going to end today by opening 'that bottle'. It is Open That Bottle Day. We all have one, a gift which has sat in a cupboard for years. I have 3. A bottle of Kumquat liquor from my brother-in-law, a bottle of schnapps from my parents-in-law (is that the right title? It sounds wrong) and a bottle of ginger beer from my wife. I expect that there will be a schnapps day so I may save that one but the other two are about to get it.

There are only three celebratory days which I can find for tomorrow and they all involve eating. If you know of any others, please comment below.

Comments

Popular Posts