Day 54 - toast and curling


I woke this morning to the knowledge that it was Banana Bread Day. Thankfully my good lady wife cooked some before we came away to stay with friends. She had bought some ripe bananas which needed eating and decided to use them for baking. How very fortuitous,  and tasty too. It's not quite cake and not quite bread, it's especially nice is you like bananas!  Shortly afterwards I found out that it was also Toast Day. This meant going back for seconds - quel dommage.
I adorned my toast with butter and damson curd. Very tasty. I am a regular toast eater so this was not one of those special discovery moments which I've enjoyed since starting this project, but there is something special about toast in general. If you haven't listened to Paul Young's homage to grilled bread then I recommend it, I'll try to add a link to save you the hassle if having to open another app. Bonus post script! I've just made some extra chesse on toast for supper using artisan pesto bread. Get me! Yum.
There was an odd celebration today, Curling Is Cool Day. Not Curling Day or Curling Appreciation Day but Curling Is Cool Day. It sounds as though it's trying too hard, as though it doesn't believe it itself and is trying to convince everyone that it really is cool. The sport is basically boules on ice. It helps that the winter Olympics is on and that the UK are actually not bad at it.  The brushing part is slightly comedic,  I'm sure that it actually helps otherwise why bother.  Maybe they should add it to boules, have someone with shears frantically cutting the grass. Now that would be cool!
There were a few celebrations which I couldn't take part in,  for example Tennis Day (it's not really the weather) and Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day (I'll stick to the toast!).
I mentioned Diesel Engine Day not long ago, the engine was patented by Rudolf Diesel some time ago but now there is a push to get rid of them due to the environmental problems they pose.  How that will impact the celebration I don't know, it has no doubt been useful over the years but going for a drive to celebrate a polluting engine doesn't seem right. We'll have to get rid of ours at some point but we're stuck with it for the time being.
Back in January it was Drinking Straw Day. This is a first for my project,  today was Skip The Straw Day. This means that there is a day to celebrate the straw and a day to try to get rid of it, or rather the single use straw anyway. I therefore didn't use a straw today and neither did the kids.  As an extra, we stopped at a farm shop on the drive home and asked for cutlery for the little one. She was given compostible cutlery made form vegetables.  How good is that?
In case you're wanting to take part in celebrations tomorrow,  it will be Bartender Day and Open That Bottle Day so make sure you have some aspirin for Sunday!

Comments

Popular Posts