Day 56 - it's NERF or nothin'

Three of today's four celebrations are food related. The fourth isn't really a celebration. I'm sure that the NRA will be partying until the early hours but Pistol Patent Day isn't something which does it for me. I'm sure that back in the day when people shot each other in the Wild West and then went to the local saloon to drink whiskey, they were pleased to have their trusty pistol because there were bad people around. Little did they know that it would be enhanced to the point where the trusty pistol could massacre scores of people without needing to reload. But that's ok right? I know that the current gun issue is an American problem but really it's everybody's problem. The world is a small place now, if it's allowed to go unchecked then it's only a matter of time before it spreads. So no, I'm not celebrating Pistol Patent Day. Instead of pistols,  people who want to buy guns should be told I'm sorry but it's NERF or nothin'.

I did however celebrate Chocolate Covered Peanuts Day! How do you improve something as tasty as a peanut? Cover it with chocolate.  But that goes for most things. There isn't much more to say about that really. The baby didn't like them,  the boys weren't interested in nuts so all for me. I won't complain.

I've generally taken the stance in these celebrations that it is better to cook the dishes rather than buy them ready made, do it justice,  that sort of thing. But sometimes it isn't practical. Today's celebration was such an occasion. Clam Chowder Day was always going to be a "just me" day so I couldn't justify. Along a batch for one person.  My good lady wife did however manage to find a tin of the soup in the shops so I've just had it for supper. I'm no expert but if I took a taste test, I doubt that I could tell the difference between clam chowder and chicken soup. It was nice enough but I'm guessing that real clam chowder tastes of clams. The only difference was the texture which was definitely clammy.

Finally today it was Eat The Right Thing Day. Right Thing here means healthy. I like to think that a balanced diet is the right thing and so chocolate covered peanuts and clam chowder fit in somewhere, alongside a Cornish pasty, fruit, leftover tortilla chips and an apple.

There is less eating needed next week although I do need to find some kalhua on Tuesday.

Comments

Popular Posts