Day 13 - busy busy busy

We've got a lot to get through so let's crack on. It was Sticker Day today. As a household with three children in it, we usually have more stickers than you can shake a stick at. There are a number of unfinished sticker albums and books stating that they contain over 100 stickers (most of which are smaller than a finger nail!) In 1990 I nearly completed the panini world cup sticker album, I had one missing if memory serves. I can't remember who it was though or what happened to it. To celebrate stickers today I handed some out to my fellow Morris dancers when they came up with good ideas, more on that later. I think that they appreciated them.
For Rubber Duckie Day, I took a duck with me everywhere for the day. Nothing weird about that. Like the stickers,  rubber ducks are not alien to the household. It came dancing with me and then to the supermarket. I'm sure it had a lovely day out.  I'm not sure the history of Sticker Day or Rubber Duckie Day but both were fairly enjoyable.
In amongst the other celebrations was one which is mainly celebrated by Americans,  and not that many of them I would hazard a guess. It was Stephen Foster Memorial Day. Who was Stephen Foster? you may ask. He was basically the person who invented American music way back when. One of his most famous tunes is called Oh! Susanna and gets everywhere, even now. My son was given a toy keyboard and it is one of the built in tunes. It's like Yankee doodle, you know the tune but have no idea where it came from. Now you do. A morris side from Carlisle taught our dancers a dance to the tune of Oh! Susanna years back so we danced it today, I'll try an include a link to the video.
A lot of these celebrations involve eating which can be good or bad depending on the day. I tried eating some of yesterday's marzipan. I'm stilll not a fan. Today however was Peach Melba Day. Nice. The recipes all talk about poaching fresh peaches but I figured that a tin of sliced ones would save having to eat the furry skin. Who'dhave thought that peaches and ice cream would be so devisive.  The baby only wanted the peaches and saw them away as though they were going out of fashion. My better half couldn't have the ice cream or the sauce (sugar free january) so just had peaches and raspberries. The boys wouldn't even try the fruit so just had ice cream although my eldest wouldn't even eat that as a piece of peach touched it and therefore "ruined it". I was the only one who would or could eat the peach Melba, and very pleasant it was.
Public Radio Broadcasting Day was basically an excuse to listen to radio 2. Nothing very exciting there although I did hear Hangin' Tough by New Kids On The Block. That was a blast from the past.
The tricky one for today was Make Your Dreams Come True Day. Unless you're Homer Simpson and stream about eating the world's biggest hot dog, it's quite tricky to simply make your dreams come true. The idea is more about embracing them and taking steps towards realising them. Firstly,  you need to know what your dreams are. Harder than it sounds.  Most of my aspirations are music based. I'd like to play an instrument properly rather than strumming a few chords. I'd like to play in a band, not to be famous, just for the fun of the music. I'd like to have a book published, I'd like to invent a recipe which makes people want to copy it. I'd quite like to own my own cafe, one with a second hand music shop attached and a stage where people could just show up and play music whilst enjoying an espresso. Which to go for? I think that I'll go for the story. Seeing as this blog is free, I'm going to set up a other page and each week upload a chapter from my one of my stories.  They are unedited but it might give me a push to do something about it. I'll add a link once it's sorted.

The blogger website allows you to design the page setup. I chose the current set up quickly just to get something in place. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the layout. Would it be better if it was more colourful? More pictures?  One long thread?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

  1. Put a side bar on, much easier to navigate. Is it Wordpress? Shout if you want a hand x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts