DAY 5

If you want to save yourself some time, today's blog can be summarised as I ate whipped cream and put food on the bird table. If however you are interested in the ins and outs of how these exciting events panned out then read on.

There were only two celebrations today. Bird Day was a chance to rekindle the efforts of enticing birds into the garden. We used to live in a very rural cottage and I remember looking out at the bird table and seeing a chicken,  a duck and a pheasant pecking around it. Not your normal menagerie of birds I thought.  Since moving to Shropshire we're lucky to get a robin.  The only birds we normally see are pigeons. We used to put food out to try to draw the crowds but they must be getting better elsewhere as it usually just goes moldy. Even so,  to celebrate our feathered friends I've bought seed and fat balls.  Let the feasting begin! I may, if I get time,  also take a look at "A Bad Birdwatcher's Companion " by Simon Barnes as it is sitting on my bookshelf. Maybe he has some tips.

The only other celebration today was of Whipped Cream. Not much else to do with it other than eat it. I'm sure there are other ways to celebrate with whipped cream but they escape me. I whipped some up (by hand of course, no corner cutting on Whipped Cream Day) and mixed it with some heated up left over mince pies and brandy butter. A very satisfying pud.  I was tempted to hold the bowl of cream over my head for a photo opportunity but then I remembered that is for egg white whipping,  not cream. Maybe I'll give it a go on meringue day, assuming there is one. My boys celebrated as well by making some "whammy whippie", a culinary delight.  Mix cream with custard and ice cream and heat it in a microwave. Surprisingly, neither of them finished it. I'm off to relax now, maybe watch The Birds by Hitchcock or the Family Guy episode where Peter fights the giant bird, you know the one. TTFN.

Comments

Popular Posts