Day 8 - unexpected toffee

Most of the information I've been using for this project comes from www.daysoftheyear.com which lists the celebrations in a handy calendar format. Imagine my surprise then when I found out that in addition to the numerous "days " taking place today,  it is also English Toffee Day which wasn't listed. That's not something to miss out on! More on that later.

I can't celebrate everything so I haven't done anything today for Argyle Day (I don't need any new socks yet! ) and Joy Germ Day might have got my committed -  the idea is that you try to be smilier than smiley Carol Smiley and spread joy through cheerfulness.

Instead,  I went with the less interesting but practical route. Clear Up Your Desk Day was a good opportunity to do just that. I've had some random bits and bobs on my desk for three years or so and it took minutes to get rid of. All it took was a silly excuse of "celebrating" to clear my work space. I can now set about filling it with more bits, but my bits, as the other stuff was left over from when the previous incumbent was in place.

Show and Tell at Work Day was another missed celebration as I thought that one at work was enough and it needed more organisation. It's a good idea for an event but would be a little odd for one person to do on their own.

Bubble Bath Day is much more up my street. My last celebratory plunge was cold and dismal, this one was warm and bubbly and lit by smelly candles.  Yay! I also used today as an excuse to persuade my hesitant son to try out his "gelli baff", a weird substance which you add to the bath water to turn it to jelly. He found having a bath in jelly a trifle offputting. The baby was desperate to get in but it's not suitable for under threes. Not sure why other than that they might try to eat it. Yuck.

A lot if these celebrations revolve around eating which pleases me no end. English Toffee oddly seems to be an American thing. All if the recipes included nuts and chocolate and were written using cups Instead of weights. I mean, who really measured butter in a cup? My stats tell me that some Americans actually read this gibberish (I'm refusing to admit that they are bots at this early stage) so maybe someone can enlighten me in the comments. What makes English Toffee English?  It isn't an English recipe as far as I'm aware.

This is enough typing for now, it's getting in the way of my relaxing. Ahhh, bubbles. TTFN.

Comments

Popular Posts