Day 121 - odd shoes and crabs

What is the best way to predict the weather? Satellite imagery? Stones dangling from a piece of string? Shadow spying groundhogs? In Ocean City, New Jersey they use a hermit crab called Martin. I looked into celebrating Martin Z. Mollusk Day today as it sounded fun but hit a few snags. Firstly, the name really onky works if you speak American. I think the Z. is pronounced zee rather than zed to make it sound a bit like 'The' (rhyming with tree). Martin Zed Mollusk just sounds wrong. Next I am confused about how a hermit crab is considered to be a mollusk.  I thought that mollusks were boneless animals which look like blobs of goo, snails, slugs, winkles, etc. A crab however is a crab. Just because it chooses to live in a mollusk's she'll doesn't make it a mollusk does it? Anyway, pedantry aside, my faithful website listed today as the day when the crab in question is taken to the beach to see whether, like Phil the groundhog, it can predict the weather. The actual Ocean City website however has two articles on it about the day, one listing it as today and another saying Sat. 12th. Which is it? I was hoping to see a live stream but no such luck. I checked YouTube and found the 2015 video. They haven't posted anything more recent. The last 2 annual events must have been less exciting. I therefore eventually celebrated by watching a  old video of the crab doing his thing.  I'll attach it so that you can join in the fun!

In addition to crabs, today I wore different shoes. I don't mean as in different to usual but rather two completely different shoes, one black, one brown. How better to celebrate Wear Two Different Coloured Shoes Day than by wearing two different coloured shoes? Oddly, only 1 person noticed. Looking at people's shoes isn't really normal practice so I'm not really that surprised. I got used to the difference in height quite quickly but it was odd at first. It made me realise that my normal work shoes aren't actually very  comfy. The result of this odd celebration is that I need to resole my shoes.

Chocolate Custard Day came as a surprise. I didn't think that it was until Saturday but I had an email saying that it was today. Presumably it's been moved. I had some custard powder in the cupboard which was only 2 years out of date. It seemed fine but the added chocolate actually made too bitter. I replied to a comment today saying that adding chocolate is always a winner, a apparently it's not true!

I didn't do anything for Lumpy Rug Day as we only have one lumpy rug and it's supposed to be lumpy.  It's one of those rag things. I did change my password to celebrate Password Day but that doesn't make very interesting reading.

I managed to squeeze in a little bit of  me time to celebrate Garden Meditation Day. This basically meant sitting on the overgrown grass and wondering whether it will ever get tidy.  I'm not sure it classes as meditation but it was pleasant listening to the birds twittering away for a few minutes. I found out a little late that it was Pitogyros Day which is basically a kebab with chips in it. I may be tempted to pick one up on my way home from Morris practice.

Tomorrow will be Star Wars Day as you no doubtedly are already aware. The dilemma is which film to force the wife to watch.

Comments

Popular Posts