Day 138 - so close but not quite

Have you ever tried to hold a whole load of random celebrations on the same day and find yourself trying but not quite acheiving? No? Just me then. Today was that day. I'll explain why.

Firstly I thought that picking strawberries would be nice as it was Pick Strawberries Day. I think that the strawberry picking season must start earlier in America as none of the local farms start until June. That makes sense as Wimbledon is still a little while off. I had my two youngest with me today whilst wife and eldest returned to the Kidsfest to put in a days work. Instead of picking strawberries we went to Tesco and "picked strawberries" from the large pile on the shelf. I went for British Strawberries instead of Spanish ones which seems a little odd in retrospect having just said that they aren't in season yet. I watched a program on TV which said that environmentally it is less damaging to transport fruit from places like Morroco than to force them locally in greenhouses. Greenhouses aren't green. Anyway, I picked some ready for tomorrow which will be Strawberries And Cream Day. Sadly I forgot the cream.

That's not entirely true. I did buy some cream but then I used it all up. (Nice link eh?) For Quiche Lorraine Day I decided to bake one instead of buying one off the shelf. I didn't look up a recipe and just bought what I thought I'd need, eggs (obvs), ham, cheese and cream. When I found a recipe online it said I needed creme fraiche.  As I didn't have any I replaced it with the egg white left over from makingthe pastry and extra cream. It also said to used gruyiere, I had cheddar, and bacon lardons, I had ham. I don't know whether quiche Lorraine specifically requires those ingredients if whether ham and cheddar would do. Taste wise it was fine. Better than fine, the kids loved it and I didn't think it was bad either. The pastry was crunchy and buttery, the filling was creamy and light. Well done me, although possibly not exactly a quiche Lorraine!

The said thing happened with World Bee Day. I decided to play my part and buy some plants for the garden to attract the bees. They like ones with plenty of nectar such ad foxgloves and bluebells. I didn't k ow this at the time and bought something which looked flowery. Petunias apparently do nothing for bees. Oh well. I tried. They do however like dandelions and as I recently decided not to be overly zealous with weeding I've already helped the bees out. Yay! It also turned out to be International Flower Day so my new petunias count anyway. Get in.

For Be A Millionaire Day I'm still waiting For the cheque. I did ask to borrow a million but nobody was willing to stump up the cash. I did however post the final chapters of my alternative-comedy-crime- thriller starring a group of Morris Dancers online (morrisdancersunion.blogspot.co.uk) so maybe a publishing house is about to call.  There's still time. (That a shameless plug wasn't it).

Finally I'm considering digging out an old video of my boys singing Wouldn't It Be Loverly as it's Eliza Doolittle Day. I'm flagging though so may just be happy with my lot.

Night night.

Comments

Popular Posts