Day 141 - ice, ice coffee

It seems odd having to find out what something is in order to celebrate it. You'd think that if you wanted to celebrate something it's because it means something to you, not just for celebrations sake. But here I am, googling "taffy".  To me, taffy was a name for Welsh people. I'd heard it used for seeds before but assumed it to be an Americanism for toffee. It turns out that it isn't. Taffy is made like toffee but then stretched and pulled until it's lighter and chewier.  In the UK, the equivalent of taffy is Starburst (or Opal Fruits if you refuse to accept the 'new' name). To celebrate Taffy Day I therefore bought a bag and shared them amongst work colleagues. They went down better than some of my offerings. I'm not that fussed about them generally but today I am right behind them. Yay for Starburst. Mmm mmm mmm... less fruity than fruit but more transportable than bananas.

I found out today that it was also Iced Coffee Day. I think that it may be Dunkin Donuts thing as the Twitter posts all seem to refer to the chain. I think that if you buy a drink from them today then they donate money to a good cause. As I'm not near a donut shop I picked up a salted caramel frappe from the Pumpkin shop at the train station. I've not gone near iced coffee before, it's better than I'd thought. Certainly better than bubble tea was although the flavour choices of the tea seem to be limitless. I'd certainly have another one day but I don't think that it would replace the hot stuff.

Lucky Penny Day is hard to celebrate as it requires finding a penny. As it turns out I was in luck. A colleague was having a leaving collection and the pot had 1p more than a round number.  I gave some money and asked for the penny as change. Surely that counts as a lucky penny? I've found the odd penny over the years and I can't say that I've noticed any correlation between the event of finding and the level of luck on those days. Maybe I need to pay more attention. I'm writing this whilst on the train to Brighton. If I make all my connections I'll put it down to that penny!

I spoke too soon. I've just been turffed out of my seat as the reservation signs are incorrect. Grr!

Right. Where was I. World Turtle Day was hard to celebrate whilst on the move so I had to make do with reading about the plight of our scaly friends. One statistic said that global warming is resulting in 99% of new turtle babies being female. Normally global warming is blamed for the melting of ice caps and the like, not the gender spread of reptiles. If it's true then it raises a lot of questions about what we're doing to the planet.  The answer? Use public transport to cut down on CO2. Oh! I am! Yay! That was lucky. Some if the Twitter pictures being shared of turtles are very cute and the odd punk turtle pics are humourous, it's worth a moment of your time.

If you're interested in the progress of my journey, I've just boarded a train from Victoria to Brighton and managed to catch one which was earlier than expected, that was lucky.

Tomorrow's entry might be very short or have an interesting tale about snails. You'll have to come back to find out which it is!

Comments

Popular Posts