Day 146 - Burgers and tampons

As someone who has never had to worry about menstrual hygiene (not something I'd ever thought I'd find myself writing) I wasn't sure how to 'celebrate' Menstrual Hygiene Day. I read a Facebook post about it which said that women across the world still get treated as though there is something wrong or dirty about that time of the month. I read Dances With Wolves a few months back, the Native Americans had a tent where the ladies had to go and live together whilst they were unclean.  I didn't realise that it was still going on. The day isn't really a celebration, it's an awareness event and something which suggests that the world isn't as advanced as we like to think.
The same can be said about World Hunger Day and Amnesty International Day which were also today. We can produce tiny telephones which contain more computing power than the computer on board the space rocket which went to the moon yet we can't (or won't?) feed everyone or make friends. These 'days' really make you wonder if we've really missed the point.
Hamburger Day however, that was far easier to understand and celebrate (unless you're a cow). Son 1 has been looking forward to this day for a while although he dodges the salad and the sauce and just eats the meat with a slice of cheese. Odd. Son 2 didn't want the meat at all, my darling wife chose the veggie burgers from the freezer and the baby just nibbled.  I had to avoid the cheese on my burger as it was Hamburger Day. Cheeseburger Day is yet to come! I like a burger, home cooked beats McDonalds hands down, but it doesn't excite me in the way that it does Son 1. I think that a nice field mushroom with some grilled halloumi would have been nicer. I'm certainly feeling the veg more these days. Saying that it's Coq Au Vin Day tomorrow so let's see how the chicken fares.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts