Day 244 - Bowling for Welsh Skyscrapers

It was the last day of the school holidays today so what better day to visit the world's first skyscraper? I mentioned to the kids what we were doing and they were surprised. On the way they kept asking which building it was. IS IT in the fire station?  Is it the Morris lubricants clock tower? We finally reached the Flaxmill in Dorrington, Shrewsbury as it was the first building in the world (apparently) which uses the metal frame design which is now used by modern skyscrapers. You may have guessed by now that it was Skyscraper Day so we are  lucky that we have one in Shrewsbury to visit. Unfortunately it was shut. The building is being restored and is only open to the public now and again. Today was not one of those days. We did see it from the gates though and I've been in before - I've danced inside it with the Morris Dancers.

Instead of the skyscraper we went to the bowling alley to celebrate US Bowling League Day. Yes I know that I don't live in the US and yes I know that one game is not the same as a league but it was a. excuse to go bowling worth the kids so don't be picky.  Son 2 used the ramp, Son 1 tried to go it alone (good on him) and my daughter just enjoyed pushing the ball once the ramp was lined up. I didn't do too badly, no strikes but I picked up a few spares. The ball only got thrown backwards the once so that was good. The only down side was that we were allowed to wear our own shoes. Wearing the silly shoes is part of the fun. We'll need to remember to wear boots next time.

Finally today I celebrated Welsh Rarebit Day. It isn't just cheese in toast, the recipe called for mustard, Worcestershire sauce and beer. I swapped the beer for milk as the kids would have complained. It was quite tasty and so one to make. It calls for a lot of cheese though. Some recipes use eggs but I stuck with just the cheese as we were in a bit if a rush. Yum.

Tomorrow will be Eat An Extra Dessert Day. Just saying.

Comments

Popular Posts