Day 264 - daughters and draughts

Oops. Have you ever tried to make a pie without pastry? It was the Great American Pot Pie Day today.  I'm not sure what makes it a pot pie, some recipes suggested that it meant it had a bottom as well as a top but I also found some which just had a pie top so I'm none the wiser.  I wad going to bake a weight watchers Spanish chicken pie but due to a miscommunication neither me nor my wife bought any pastry. I was going for puff pastry so didn't have time to make any myself. Instead of pie we just had the filling with some rice on the side.  The intention was there but I don't think that I can really count this as a celebration of pie, what with there being no pie and all.

I did however have some pepperami so was able to celebrate Snack Stick Day. Son 2 also celebrated although he was unaware. I like a pepperami, they're much juicier than they look. That was much easier to celebrate.

For Checkers Day I had intended on playing it with my kids but I completely forgot and by the time I remembered it was too late. Instead I downloaded an app and thrashed the beginners' level. Boom. I'm sure that there is a skill in playing at a high level but it always seems a bit too quick for me, more a move and hope game than any real strategy.

I had a look at Daughter's Day posts on Twitter today and based on the people posting I think that it is an Indian celebration. Having two sons, I wasn't sure how things would be different having a daughter. Her personality is different from the boys but they were different to each other so at this age it's just like having another little person around the place. We've never pushed stereotypes on the kids but she is obsessed with pink, I don't know whether this is a nature/nurture thing or what.  To celebrate I spent plenty of time with her today.  She helped with the shopping and I let her choose the film this afternoon. It had unicorns in it although she got bored after a while.

Comments

Popular Posts