Day 266 - one hit wonders

Wow. There are less than 100 days of the year left! I'm into the final push of this challenge but there are still plenty of chances to celebrate so plenty more for you to keep coming back for!

Today was a musical day. One Hit Wonder Day. We all love one hit wonders don't we? Bob the builder? Mr Blobby? There are loads of them but what makes somebody  a one hit wonder? You'd think it simple but what constitutes a hit?  For example, I listened to a compilation of one hit wonders which included "Mmm mmm mmm mmm" by the Crash Test Dummies. "Afternoons and Coffeespoons" (and excellent tune) however also got to no. 23 in the charts. Is 23 not considered a hit? Chesney Hawkes get called a one hit wonder yet he also had follow up singles in the top 40. Who decides? I read a book a few years ago by Tony Hawks called One Hit Wonderland where he went about trying to have another hit to follow his single, The Stutter Rap, (released under the name of Morris Minor and the Majors). He released his follow up effort in Albania! Does that count? Having a hit in another country? Whatever the rules are there are a whole load of decent tunes which generally get called One Hit Wonders so I listened and enjoyed.

I didn't really celebrate anything else today, I was a one celebration wonder! It was Comic Book Day but I didn't read any comics as I celebrated reading comics not that long ago. Dream Day also went uncelebrated as it was more about dreaming big rather than just snoozing and dreaming. I'm not sure whether I'll have a chance to write anything tomorrow as I'm off to Manchester to watch Halestorm! Yay! I'm also likely to be very busy on Thursday and then at a wedding on Friday but I'll make every effort to give you your daily fix.

Comments

Popular Posts