Day 263 - animals and ice cream

Right. Did you know that there are two different types of rhinoceros? Black ones and white ones. They both look the same to me but the difference is in the shape of the mouth. They are both grey so black and white doesn't help. I think that the word for wide mouth in Dutch sounds a bit like "white" hence the name, or something like that anyway.  I celebrated World Rhino Day but borrowing a library book about them and reading it with my daughter.  She quite enjoyed it. It said that the mums and their babies live in groups whilst the men roam around alone. That doesn't sound much fun. I'm glad I'm not a Rhino.  They are hunted for their horns which is sad. We really are a horrible bunch sometimes aren't we.

It was also Elephant Appreciation Day so I borrowed a book about elephants too, at least I thought I had. I sent the boys to find some books.  The elephant book had them on the cover but it was actually a general wildlife book. It had two pages about elephants but that was enough to appreciate them. My honeymoon was spent in Kenya and we got to see elephants close up in a hotel called Treetops (where the Princess Elizabeth became the queen). That was quite an experience. Seeing them in books isn't quite the same.

It was also Wildlife Ecology Day so the accidental book about wildlife probably qualifies for that celebration instead.  Do you think I can get away with that one?

Before we got to the library I started the day by celebrating Hobbits. For anyone who has managed to avoid the Lord of the Rings, hobbits are short creatures who have big feet and live in holes in the ground. One important feature of them is that they have two breakfasts, so that's how I celebrated. I ate my breakfast and about an hour later I ate my daughter's crumpet as she had rejected it.  About an hour after that she came back looking for it and made me feel guilty about eating her breakfast. It's an important life lesson for her - you snooze you lose!

I failed to celebrate World Car Free Day as I had to drive Son 2 to a birthday party. It's a shame as I'm all for going car free, We use ours far too much seeing as most things are in our doorstep.  Maybe I should have tried harder.

I finished the days celebrations with a twofer.  Ice Cream Cone Day and White Chocolate Day. When I mentioned white chocolate day on Facebook a couple of people turned their noses up at it. How can you not like milky bar? Odd. Anyway, I picked up some ice cream cones and sone milky bar buttons and made some vanilla ice creams for pudding.  The kids were happy.  Sadly Sainsbury's don't sell waffle cones, just wafer ones. I'm not a fan of wafer, it's a bit like cardboard,  functional rather than tasty. Waffle is so much nicer that I don't understand why they still make wafer. When CDs replaced cassettes, the cassette pretty much became extinct as CDs were so much better. Waffle cones are simply a far better product than wafer, so why do we still have wafer?  I still ate it to celebrate but I remain firmly in the waffle corner.

I was hoping to find a way to show horn in a mention of the world record attempt at having the most people dancing the Charleston at the same time which took place in the town park today. My wife was in it and some of the neighbours so they'll be record breakers when it's official! The closest one was Legwear Day as a few of the participants were wearing interesting costumes.  As it is, I don't think that quite fits so I'll have to leave it. Oh well. Shame.

Comments

Popular Posts