Day 194 - worms and horses and chicken

I don't like sweets. Much. The kids live for sweets ( which I may have mentioned previously). They generally taste fake and unpleasant, but strangely not today. It was Gummy Worm Day so I grabbed a bag of extra sour worms from Lidl. I didn't expect much from them, but they weren't bad at all. I may have found my sweet of choice (except for fudge and chocolate and nougat obviously). Everyone else liked them too (apart from son 1 who refused to try them). Hurrah for nutrition-free rubbery sour sweets ( can they be called sweets if they're sour?)

Today was all about food. I wasn't very excited when I saw that it was Orange Chicken Day but then I did some research. I was expecting something like duck a l'orange (but with chicken). It turns out that it is an oriental dish, deep fried battered chicken in an orange sauce. I had to improvise a little, firstly son 1 used all the eggs making a cake (for no specific reason) so I had to nip to the shop for more. I couldn't find rice wine vinegar so used cider vinegar instead. The orange juice part was tricky, I thought that we had some in the fridge, we didn't.  What we did have was a carton of kid's orange juice. I checked the recipe, mainly water, some juice, some dodgy chemicals. I'm not sure where we got it from but it worked ok. The idea is that you deep fry the chicken, make a sticky orange sauce and then toss the chicken in the sauce.  It was actually pretty good. The deep fried chicken  wasn't as good as the deep fried sprouts we had earlier in the year but it was still tasty. A new recipe to add to the reputoir. Yay!

Ice Cream Day. There are lots of these.  We had some ice cream. Nuff said.

I didn't bother with Tapioca Pudding Day as I did that recently. It was also Give Something Away Day so I entered some competitions run by people who were giving things away.

In case you happen to be celebrating as well, the next week includes snakes, spinach, tattoos and Nelson Mandela.

Comments

Popular Posts