Day 197 - sour hot dogs and Nelson Mandela

Doh! I didn't see that one coming. I mentioned a few days ago how I'd bought some sour gummy worms for Gummy Worm Day, today was Sour Candy Day! My usual website resources missed this one so I only found out this morning. I was going to skip it but I was in Aldi at lunch time so bought some any way. I chose sour jelly beans this time and shared them amongst colleagues. They weren't as nice as the worms and weren't as sour either (I was hoping for some gratuitous sour faces but no joy). They did however contain the same super ingredient Spiralina making them healthy. Yay!

Sadly I missed an opportunity today for something different.  I assumed that Take Your Poet To Work Day was another celebration about writing poems - I was wrong. It was actually about printing out a picture of a poet, colouring it in, putting it on a lolly stick and taking it to work.  How wacky, and I missed it! Gutted.  I really must read up on some if these in advance. 

Nelson Mandela International Day took place today, he would have been 100 years old today.  The interweb was full of articles about Mr Mandela as people celebrated his life everywhere.  I found an article about him to share with the kids as hopefully they might be inspired by someone with such conviction. I was tempted to watch an episode of Only Fools And Horses in his honour but decided against it.

Today's foodie treat went down well, you can't go wrong with hot dogs. I cooked up some mini bratwurst and added mushrooms, crispy onions, ketchup and mustard. Very tasty. The kids approved although one had frankfurters, one just had bratwurst and the third just had ketchup. It's close enough. They weren't as good as the vegan kebab hotdog I ate in Brighton but they were quick and easy.

Finally today I'm waiting for a cake to come out the oven so that I can celebrate Raspberry Cake Day tomorrow.  There's still time if you want to make your own, I have some buttermilk going begging if it's any use.

Comments

Popular Posts