Day 198 - did you get your flitch today?

People celebrate the weirdest things don't they. Back in 1104 (or thereabouts) monks decided to award loyal couples with a "flitch" if they could prove that they had been loyal to each other for a year and a day.  The story is that they would have to have evidence and even a random thought about adultery or infidelity would be enough to lose them their flitch. How do you provide evidence if something that didn't happen? Anyway, a flitch is a side of bacon. Why bacon? Maybe it's just something they happened to have available? Very odd. I don't know if to celebrate flitch day I'm supposed to try to win some bacon, give away some bacon, or just be nice to my wife. I don't think I need a whole flitch and I certainly haven't got one to give so I'll celebrate by staying in on what should be my night out to let my wife go out with her colleagues for an end if term party. What a lovely husband I am!

As an avid reader of this blog you will no doubt be wondering how the raspberry cake came out. Today was Raspberry Cake Day so I found a recipe  online. I rarely use recipe books these days, I forget they are there most of the time. The recipe said to cook for 40 minutes and the picture was of a golden brown cake. I took mine out after 30 minutes and it was already nearly burnt. I'm glad I decided to check. The raspberries meant that the cake was a bit too moist in the middle so I ate that bit and salvaged the rest to share with work colleagues. They liked it! One even had a second piece. Success. I think that a raspberry and almond cake would have had more structure but almonds put some people off. All in all it was a yay for raspberries.

I don't make a habit of poking my tongue out at people but today was an exception.   As it was Stick Your Tongue Out Day it only seemed right. I didn't do it to the point it became weird but the kids joined in nicely once I got home. Strangely they enjoyed sticking their tongues out.  It's a bit weird that wjmhen they are babies we encourage it but once they're old enough to know what they're doing we tell them not to. It must be very
confusing.

I think that I've celebrated a New Friends Day before but I added new people to Twitter all the same and a few followed me back. I'm now up to 175! Yay! Hopefully some of them will enjoy this silliness and might stick around.

Finally today I celebrated Daquiri Day. Once again this one is knew on me but I'm a bit confused now. I spotted some pouches in the supermarket which you freeze and then defrost slightly to make a slushie drink. They had daiquiri in the name so I bought a couple for today. I then however found a recipe which says that daquiri is rum, lime juice and sugar syrup. My frozen drink was wine based, not rum based. So have I celebrated Daquiri Day or not? Maybe I need to have a rum one aswell just to be sure. How long does it take to make sugar syrup?

Comments

Popular Posts