Day 205 - Peace in the valley of the chilli dog

Are you stuck in a rut? Doing the same thing every day? Here's an idea - celebrate random holidays, no two days will be the same again.

My day usually starts with cereal or toast generally depending on what we have in the cupboard. Today however was Bagelfest Day ( but I didn't need to tell you that did I?) so I enjoyed a bagel with jam and peanut butter. Get in. I even made sure that there were enough for our house guests too as that's how I roll. Cinnamon and raisin? Why not, it's Bagelfest Day. Doughy bready goodness.

At 5.34pm today the alarm on my phone started going off. It wasn't aliens or magic or anything strange like that, I had set it to go off (worry not). The reason for the timely reminder was that today is One Voice Day. I thought when I read the name that maybe I would need to sing a Barry Manilow song but no such luck. As an aside, I saw Chesney Hawkes in a musical using Barry's songs a few years ago. It was like Mamma Mia meets the X Factor. It doesn't seem to have caught on. Shame, he did a good version of Mandy. Anyway, the reminder was because on One Voice Day, people are asked to simultaneohsly read out (hence the name) the Universal Peace Covenant. This is a passage all about how peace is good and how we should strive to being it about, starting with ourselves. The words are available at http://som.org/the-universal-peace-covenant/ should you fancy reading it. So at 6pm I stood and read aloud the whole passage, to myself, as everyone else was away at the Ice Cream Farm. It's a bit odd reading aloud to yourself. I think that people are supposed to read it to others but I didn't have anyone to read to. Boo hoo.

If you've been keeping up with this blog then you'll know that I've celebrated hot dog day already. I've also celebrated corn dog day. Today was Chilli Dog Day. In an effort to make it more interesting I bought some Brotwurst. One son likes hot dog sausages and one likes smoked sausage so I thought that the big fat sausages would go down well. Nope. Once again the kids don't agree. Mine was quite nice. I used co-op's own chilli from a tin to top it. Not bad at all if a bit messy, but the mess added to the fun.

Finally today I took a step into a whole new world of beverage. It was both Refreshment Day and Coffee Milkshake Day so I found a recipe online to try it out. I'm not sure whether there's a difference between coffee milkshake and iced coffee but my recipe was cold coffee, ice cream and chocolate sauce. It was REALLY nice. I recommend it, even if you aren't keen on coffee.

There are some interesting celebrations tomorrow including stilt walking, taking a potplant for a walk and dungeons and dragons.  Might need to leave work early to fit it all in.

Comments

Popular Posts