Day 209 - paperback cheesecakes and fathers-in-law

There were a couple of interesting celebrations today. Sadly though the timing wasn't great. A bit like Surfing Day and Skateboarding Day, Snorkling Day isn't something which you can squeeze into a Monday afternoon. I'm not a great swimmer so a bit of snorkling could have been a chance to practice.

Instead of snorkling I celebrated Paperback Book Day which was much more doable. Firstly I read a little on the train to work (I mainly slept but I managed a few pages before I succumbed to the inevitable). When I got to Moor Street Station I deposited a couple of paperbacks in the book exchange. If you happen across a copy of Hogfather or Red Riding Hood, you're welcome!  I was going to sign a copy of a Neil Gaimon book and leave that as that Is what he does. It's presumably better to have a book signed by the author rather than a random stranger but better someone than no-one.  I picked up the wrong book so didn't bother signing it but I might try that anyway as it sounds fun. One question I have about today is why do we have hardback books? What do they bring to the table which paperback books don't? Hardbacks are more difficult to transport, less comfortable to read and cost more. Why bother? Any ideas?

I'm assuming that everybody did something to celebrate Father-in-law Day right? There were some greetings cards available online but they were more for father's day than Father's-in-law Day (where does the "s" go?) I found some comedy t-shirts talking about fathers-in-law but other than a few seconds of chortling I don't expect they actually get worn. To celebrate I found a video on YouTube which I thought mine would appreciate and shared it with him. He likes melodeons and sci-fi so I found a  video of someone playing the star wars theme. Hopefully that will have given him a smile if nothing else.

Finally today I celebrated Cheesecake Day with the family. We bought a chocolatey one from Aldi. It went down well with the kids. Son 1 has refused cheesecake in the past due to the name but he finally decided that actually it might not be bad. Personally I prefer a fruity one, white chocolate and raspberry is a winner. I enjoyed it but a small slice was enough. There is still a little bit in the fridge if anyone fancies some.

Tomorrow involves avocados, shredded wheat and uncommon instruments if you fancy a little yay in your day ( ooh... that sounds like a catchphrase).

Comments

Popular Posts