Day 188 - Meat bashing

Did you wear a bra today? I didn't, in celebration of No Bra Day. That and the fact that I have no need for one (yet - I'm sure that someone will invent the he-bra for manboobs one day). I don't think that there are any good causes or political statements attached to the celebration, it's just a comfort thing. There isn't much else I can say about that, Wear A Bra Day would have made for a more entertaining photo opportunity.

I tried to get ahead of the game yesterday by preparing some schnitzel today, Wienerschnitzel Day. I love bashing out pork steaks, until I get reminded of Pig Day and the guilt kicks in. It was tres hot though and the steaks got left in the car. I don't think that they were fit for consumption afterwards. Fail! Thankfully I had some in the freezer so I was still able to fit in a quick celebration  at tea time. I normally just breadcrumb them but I found a recipe which suggested mixing parsley and parmesan cheese into the egg. It turned out really tasty.  Happy days!

For Don't Put All your Eggs In One Omlet Day I used egg for the schnitzel and also one for some cookies. I didn't put any in an omlet (omelette!). I'm not really sure what the day was about, it's obviously a play on eggs in a basket but why not just celebrate that? Odd. I decided to just use eggs and make sure that I had some to spare.

The aforementioned cookies were in celebration of Sugar Cookies Day.  The recipe is basically flour, sugar, egg, butter and vanilla. I didn't have any castor sugar so I had to swap it for demerera. It didn't cream properly but they tasted fine, a bit shortbreadish. The recipe said it made about 4 dozen biscuits, I made 25. Possibly too thick but I'm sure that nobody will complain.

It was also Town Criers Day so I tweeted the Shrewsbury town crier Martin Wood. I spoke to him on Saturday as he attended the morris dancing spectacular which took place in the square. It's not often that I'm made to feel short but he's huge! He worked as Hagrid's body double in the Harry Potter movies. We were chatting about the international town crier competitions, he's currently 5th in the world,  not bad. My son is also the junior town crier this year so I tweeted a photograph of them two of them leading the parade. Oyez! Oyez!

Tomorrow is Teddy Bear Picnic Day if you have any little ones to entertain, it's also Pina Colada Day if you have any big ones to entertain. I've never tried that before so I'm looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular Posts