Day 160 - Meat or no meat? that is the question.

Today was all about food... again. I thought it was about corn on the cob as it's Corn On The Cob Day (I love corn on the cob) but I found out this morning that it is also World Meat Free Day. Following all of the meat days recently where I've been feeling bad about eating animals it made a refreshing change to have to avoid them. We had planned on having sausages for tea so I had to nip out at lunch time to look for a veggie alternative. I went to Waitrose and found some "Little Willies". Yep, you read that right and I haven't mistyped (which I accept is a regular occurrence). Who thought that calling veggie sausages little willies was a good idea? It's either a stroke of marketing genius or stupidity. They actually tasted really nice and I preferred them to the usual meat option. Unfortunately they cost more than twice the price.  Why are veggie sausages so expensive?  You'd have thought that having to kill something would raise the price but apparently not. The kids didn't mind them and even the wife enjoyed a little willy (sorry, I couldn't help it). I ate them with a corn on the cob and avoided the gravy. Meat Free is much easier than you'd think, although costly. Unfortunately  I'm not sure that I achieved it. As I wasn't aware of the celebration I'd already made my sandwiches for today which were tuna mayo. Is fish meat? I think it counts as meat but I'd have avoided it if the advertising had been better.

There were a few other non-food based celebrations today such as Cousteau Day and King Kamehamcha Day. The only one which I squeezed in was Yarn Bombing Day. Yarn Bombing is when you wrap a tree in yarn. I have no idea why it's done but as I knitted a yarn scarf on the weekend I wrapped it around my tree. I hope it appreciated it!

Tomorrow includes Magic Day, Loving Day and Superman Day. It's going to be busy!

Comments

Popular Posts