Day 154 - gingerbread, veggie burgers and delusions

I'm celebrating as I type this. This doesn't happen all that often, the aroma of a dark Jamaican gingerbread loaf is wafting around my kitchen. It still has about 50 mins to go. It Gingerbread Day if you haven't guessed. I thought that this would mean building a house but Gingerbread House Day isn't until December. There is also a gingerbread decorating day as well. As they both use the biscuity type of gingerbread I thought that today should be more about a loaf cake. I've gone with Delia's basic recipe with some added stem ginger as I was short of golden syrup. Hopefully it'll be edible. I'll try to force it on my helpless colleagues tomorrow. I'll try to remember to take a pic once it's out the oven.

Earlier today I celebrated Veggie Burger Day. I was hoping for a recommendation for a decent burger seller in Solihull but nobody replied to my request.  Instead I went with the first I came across which was Big John's.  It was only £3.70 for the burger, some half decent chips and a vimto. Not bad. The burger was surprisingly edible. It was a little bit squishy but the breadcrumb held it together long enough. My favourite veggie burger wasn't actually a burger at all, it was a stack of vegetables in a bun (field mushroom, pepper, onions and spinach). Yum. The restaurant today served about 6 people between me ordering and finally getting my burger - they probably had to blow the dust off the box.

I didn't have the time to celebrate Hot Air Balloon Day (or the funds) and Moonshine Day would presumably take much longer than a day to whip up a batch. Finally today I decided to celebrate the Festival Of Popular Delusions Day but sharing some if my own with you.  I am currently deluding myself that my hair is still blond  and that one day I'll be able to grow a beard. I like to think that me playing regular gigs in a band is simply a matter of time and that one day the house will be in a position where no work is needed on it. Do you like to delude yourself about anything?  Today's the day to share. It is today on the basis that 5 June was the last day when the Nazis could delude themselves that they would rule the world as D-Day was coming. (Spoiler - it's tomorrow).

Comments

Popular Posts