Day 272 - cookies, music and raccoons

There were 18 celebrations going on today which I had found, 19 if you count International Coffee Day which was apparently happening today,  I thought it was Saturday.

The first one I can tell you about was Child Health Day as it impacted my whole day. I hadn't expected to do anything for it until 5am when son 1 came into our bedroom complaining of a sore stomach. An hour later, he had been sick and I had to work from home.  I spent the day celebrating by looking after my sick son. He was better by the afternoon but school policy means that he has to stay off tomorrow as well. Grr.

Hair Day was quick and easy, mainly because it wasn't really me who celebrated it, it was my youngest. She was given a bag full of hair clips and Alice bands by someone who had grown out of them. She loved them and wore all the clips at once.  Way to go!

There have been a few music celebrations thus far.  Today was International Music Day, started in 1975 by Yehudi Menuhin to promote peace and understanding through music. You can read about it here (assuming the link works!) I celebrated by trying to learn some chords on my son's Ukelele. It didn't sound too bad. I may need to get myself one.

World Vegetarian Day meant no meat, which I'm finding a good thing more and more. I saw a few disturbing images on Twitter which always crop up on these days.  Tea was a veggie curry. It used a weight watchers recipe (or is it just WW now? It takes longer to say the abbreviated name than it does to say the longer one). The veg was a little mushy and the sauce a little wet but it tasted OK.  Iceland were advertising a new veggie range and a local pub now has a full vegan menu using some of these new meat substitute things, I might need to give them a bash.

I didn't celebrate CD Player Day as I don't actually own a CD player anymore. I have a number of machines which will play them, alarm clock, DVD player, laptop, etc. But no dedicated CD player. That's a shame considering the number of CDs piled up in the cellar. One day they'll come out again, maybe when the kids leave home. I am have my music room back!

I celebrated International Raccoon Appreciation Day by watching an episode of The Raccoons whilst doing the ironing.  It wasn't as wonderful as I remember it from my youth but it was nice to reminisce. What was Cyril Sneer? An anteater? I don't thi k it was ever made clear. In the episode I watched the raccoons were plotting something and Cyril thought that they were out to get him. It turned out,  quite obviously, that they were throwing a surprise party. It would have been more of a surprise if they actually did have a weapon to get rid of him and take over his empire as he thought. Rich people (or aardvarks) in cartoons are always bitter and twisted, does art reflect life or do cartoonists just like to stereotype?

Finally I celebrated Homemade Cookie Day by whipping up a batch of millies chocolate chip cookies.  The recipe called  them Millies as they are supposed to taste like the ones from the cookie shop. They came out pretty well although far too soft. The recipe said just 7 minutes so that's what I did. Even when cooked they were falling to pieces so I had to put them back in the oven for another 3 minutes.  It didn't seem to do anything. Paul Hollywood would not be happy but at least they taste good.

I'm having to stay at home tomorrow on Fruit At Work Day. My bonus tick today means one less tomorrow,  I think. Does it count if I just eat fruit whilst working at home?

Comments

Popular Posts