Day 294 - moles, cupcakes and ipods

Hello dear reader and welcome to Mole Day. Or rather, as Mole Day ended at 6.02pm this evening, I hope that you enjoyed it. Why 6.02? It's very precise isn't it. It started at 6.02am so it onky actually lasts 12 hours, not really a day but close enough for me. It's not even about moles, or not the cute leathery ones with the massive hands anyway. A mole is a chemical unit linked to the atomic size of carbon 12, or something like that. It's size is 6.02 x 23 to the power of 10. The celebrations start therefore at 6.02 on 23 October.  Get it?  My favourite part of celebrating Mole Day was the odd selection of videos on YouTube. If you want something random and surreal, search for Mole Day on YouTube and watch a few of them.

Update. Sorry that should be 10 to the power of 23. Silly me.

Next up we have IPod Day. The iPod was introduced on 23 October a number of years ago now so today is the anniversary. I have two but have never bought one, they were both presents. Neither works anymore. The battery has gone on one and the other won't switch off once it's on. They also have less capacity than my phone so are obsolete. I thought that today would be a good day to give them a send off and sell them on eBay. People buy broken ones to fix up don't they? You can buy a working one though for £10 so there didn't seem much point. I can't donate them to a charity shop as they need to be in working condition. If anyone would therefore like an old iPod to tinker with, let me know and they're yours! You'll need to source an old style charger though.
Canning Day also took place today. It was a bit confusing as it doesn't necessarily mean putting into cans, most people use jars, so why not Jarring Day? One of our neighbours kindly gave away some cooking apples yesterday,  perfect!  We stewed some down and made 3 jars of stewed apples. It looked like it would be more than 3 but it boiled down a bit.
Finally I mentioned yesterday that today would be Boston Cream Pie Day so I made some Boston Cream Cupcakes using a recipe from the Hummingbird Cafe. You make a batter, cook the cupcakes,  make some custard, fill the cupcakes and then cover in chocolate frosting. They weren't suitable to transport to work by train so I donated them to my wife's school. They were all eaten so I assume that they were enjoyed.  The kids all enjoyed theirs. I thought that the chocolate would be too chocolatey as I didn't have enough icing sugar. It worked well though with the custard. I even used gluten free flour and the kids never noticed. They worked well, I've not had Boston Cream Pie before, I will again. Yum.

Comments

Popular Posts