Day 287 - words and food and Vinnie Jones

Linguaphile, that's the word of the day according to dictionary.com.  It means a lover of words,  which is apt for Dictionary Day. I considered celebrating this day by looking in our dictionary only to find that we don't own one. Odd. I'm sure that we used to own many,  now there are only language dictionaries. I had to go on dictionary.com in order to do some celebrating. I turned it into a twofer as it is also Learn A Word Day. As I already knew linguaphile I clicked on another relevant link which was a list of words which describe sudden urges. The main reference was about cats and as today is Global Cat Day as well this seemed a good choice. The list included some interesting words such as tarantism, the urge to dance, and satyriasis, the male version of nymphamania. If you've ever looked at a cat and thought it so cute that that could eat it, the term is cute aggression. I felt let down by that.  Firstly, it's not a word,  secondly,  it's a bit obvious. Anyway, that makes it a threefer so I'm happy all the same. What is odd is that whilst I'm sat here writing about cats being cute, my two cats are both curled up looking cute. It's as if they knew!
Restart A Heart Day is a very worthwhile cause to celebrate today.  There were training sessions taking place in schools up and down the country teaching kids CPR. Brilliant.  We all know someone who wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for CPR so it's worth taking a moment to think about it. I had a look at the bhf website and watched their video. I also had a look at Vinnie Jones' staying alive video which is on YouTube, it's about hands only CPR ( kisses are only for the misses). I hope it's not something I ever have to try but it's worth knowing just in case.
World Food Day was also today. It isn't about cooking, it's about how there are starving people all over the world yet we produce more than enough food to feed everyone. The problem is that some have too much and lots gets wasted. I decided to take a look in the fridge and see what was being wasted. There was half a carton of soya milk (left over from Milk Alternatives Day) and a mousse which had gone out of date. I often try to freeze leftovers so as not to waste it but forget to label it and then it gets chucked as I have no idea what it is. So as not to waste what is still there I'll use the celery and pepper in tomorrow's pasta sauce (it's Pasta Day). Potatoes are one of the things I though away the most, we have a few from a bag then the rest sprout roots.  I need to start par boiling and freezing. Maybe the answer is a bigger freezer? Or better planning? There is a good recycling place in Oswestry called OsNosh, maybe Shrewsbury needs one too?
Lastly today it is Liqueur Day so I'm off to have a glass. We have a bottle of kumquat cordial which will do the job. It's nearly gone son I might finish it. I wouldn't want it to go to waste!

Comments

Popular Posts