Day 283 - gumbo

I must apologise dear readers for my tardiness. I've just got back from a quiz and am full of gin but hopefully that won't impact on your enjoyment of reading this daily update.
Today was another food based celebration. I had intended on doing something for World Egg Day but having read some of the Twitter articles about egg production I feel a little ill.  The treatment of male chicks is barbaric yet it never makes headlines. I need to find out for myself how much of it is propaganda and how much is true. I'd write about what they do to them but it makes me I'll just thinking about it. If you have any concerns about animal welfare you may wish to research it yourself.
Anyway,  having said that the day that I did celebrate included eating animals although ones which at least had a chance to live a little longer. Gumbo Day was surprisingly tasty. I thought that gumbo was like a fish soup. I used a weight watchers recipe which used chicken and chorizo. It was not quite stew, too thick for soup,  but very hearty and filling.  I don't cook okra very often so it was nice to use them. We also used Gumbo Day as our quiz team name and we won! Boom! We won two rounds (chocolates for prizes) and the cash prize overall. Happy days. 
It's Yorkshire pudding day tomorrow so I need to practice cooking them, they're something which I generally do very badly in deed.

Comments

Popular Posts