Day 301 - candy corn, pumpkin bread and funerals

Tomorrow is Halloween. On Halloween the house seems to end up full of sweets. So what would be a good thing to do today? Eat sweets! It was Candy Corn Day so not just any sweets would do. I tried to buy some on the weekend in preparation for today but the sweet shop closed early. Instead I went to a ye olde shop in Solihull shopping centre and found a bag. They said $1.50 for two on the packaging but actually cost £1.49 for 1. That's quite a mark up. I hate to think what the carbon footprint is. I shared them with colleagues and they went down quite well. I also tried them on the kids. Son 1 wouldn't touch them because of the name but Son 2 quite enjoyed them. I thought that candy corn would be hard and sucky but it's actually soft and crumbly.  Not bad.
Pumpkin Bread Day was also today. The recipe used quite a lot of sugar, it's more like pumpkin cake. I baked it last night. The flavour was maybe a little too clovey but the texture is good and it was very nice with lashings of butter spread on top. I'm off to a Halloween party tomorrow so one of the two will be donated. I hope the other guests like clove!

An interesting celebration today, if it can be called that, was Create A Great Funeral Day. I've considered this in the past when drawing up a will but mainly the songs to play. I'm currently toying with Death In The Family by Type O Negative to get people nice and miserable followed by The One And Only by Chesney Hawkes to get people dancing on the way out. It's a hard choice really as you have to remember that you won't actually be there to listen to it. I'm also thinking about having my ashes used to fertilize a memorial tree, assuming such a thing wouldn't actually kill the sapling. As far as locations go, being free from religion means that it could be anywhere. I quite like the idea of a star wars funeral like they had for Darth Vader with a full orchestra playing in the background.  That may be a little pricey though. I don't think that one day is going to be enough for this. The important point is to make sure that lived ones have an idea of what to do so that should the inevitable take place they don't need to worry about planning whilst mourning. What would you choose? Happy or sombre?
You obviously know that Halloween is tomorrow but don't forget that it's also Doorbell Day, Magic Day and Knock Knock Jokes Day.

Comments

Popular Posts