Day 303 - vegan for a day

We put animal products into everything don't we. To celebrate World Vegan Day I decided to give it a stab if you'll pardon the pun. If you've been avidly reading this blog since January (firstly- thank you) then you'll know the issues with meat which I've been having. Trying out veganism therefore sounded worth a shot.  I've probably failed as I wore leather shoes to work and my wool coat but I didn't buy any new ones if that helps.
I started with some peanut butter and jam on toast, managing to swerve the milk on cereal issue. I then packed myself  a lunch which avoided cheese and butter. I went for a vegan cheese and piccallili sandwich. Sadly I forgot to pack it! Grr.  There were some communal biscuits on offer but they all had milk chocolate. Instead the trolley lady found me a pot of fruit and some flapjack which was made with margarine rather than butter. So far so good.  I went to the co-op at lunch time and found a bulgar wheat and pomegranate salad, a vegan Tiffin bar and some crisps. Apart from the forgetful part it was actually quite good.
Most of the crisps used whey or lactose from milk which ruled them out but Walkers Max Paprika seemed to be vegan friendly. What I'm unsure of now is whether being vegan means that you can't buy from a company which uses animal products for other uses. For instance, you wouldn't buy shampoo which isn't tested on animals from a shop which happily tests it's other products on animals. So does that apply to being vegan? Walkers sell crisps which include animal products so can vegans buy walkers crisps at all? I'm not sure of the rules.
For tea I had a vegan calzone as it is also Calzone Day. I made some dough and fried mushrooms, courgette and pepper to go in it with some more of the vegan cheese. It worked really well andnif happily have it again. What I would say though is that calzone isn't just folded pizza. Pizza is sit in front of the TV food, calzone isn't! Don't try it. You have been warned. As it was also Stout Day I washed it down with a can of Guinness which is vegan. Yay!


I'm off now to celebrate Brush Day, the day following Halloween is a day to celebrate brushing your teeth. Remember at least 2 minutes and floss people. TTFN.

Comments

Popular Posts