Day 317 - cakes, biscuits and Steve Irwin

It was an early start today with the celebrations, not as early as Dawn Chorus Day but a celebratory breakfast is a good way to start the day. I've had a few of them this year, usually involving eggs. Today's however was a bit simpler as there was no cooking involved,  not even toast. It was Raisin Bran Cereal Day so I happily ate up my bowl full. I may have cheated a little by using sultanas (does that count?). One down.
There were two culinary delights to savour today as it was both Hermit Cookie Day and Bundt Cake Day. One of my lovely neighbours leant me a ring cake tin so last night I was furiously baking away. The bundt cake recipe required 6 eggs which seemed a little excessive.  The recipe seemed to suggest that you fill the tin but that leave a no space to rise. I left a little gap but it still rose well over the top and spilled over. The final cake looked quite good although I'm a little worried that it's under baked. I've donated it to the Children In Need Cake sale so hopefully it'll be edible. I tried some of the spilt mix which cooked quite nicely,  it was pretty decent flavour wise.
The other foodie celebration was Hermit Cookie Day.  I've not come across hermit cookies before. The recipe simply said soft brown sugar, it didn't specify light brown or dark brown. I had dark jn the cupboard so they're a bit treacley. The spice mix is fairly christmassy, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, so they smelled nice whilst baking. I like my cookies a little soft so I only put them in the oven for 8 minutes. They're also being donated.
I picked up the leftovers at the end of the day, there was a fair amount of cake on offer (the guinness cake was excellent) so I had some left to bring home to the kids. They loved it. You can't go wrong with vanilla.
As it was I Love To Write Day, and I do love to write, I thought it best to do some writing. Sensible eh? I therefore start g sketching out some ideas for a Christmas story.  I'm torn between a sloth who saves Christmas just in time and a sloth who decides to celebrate and takes ages to get ready. What do you think?  Would you read that?
Finally I spent a few minutes celebrating Steve Irwin. I know who he was and the tragic story of how he died but I never really watched his show. He was mental! Balls of steel. Ant from Ant and Dec used to do a good impression of him on SM:TV. I didn't  realise how realistic it was. Apparently Steve's kids are continuing with the family business.  Good luck to them.

Comments

Popular Posts