Day 304 - face paint and loved ones

I've been looking forward to Day of the Dead since watching Coco a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea about what went on and assumed it was a bit like Halloween.  How wrong. It's the complete opposite,  colour and joyous celebration of the lives of your family members. I started by buying a colourful skull air freshener for the car (it's the little things...) and then printed out sone pictures of my grandparents to put on the mantlepiece. I lit a candle, painted my face, drank a bottle of Coronita (it's Mexican and everything) and watched the Book of Life. Not a bad effort if I do say so myself. One thing I'm unsure about is the history of the day. It's the same day as All Souls Day which is basically the same thing from what I can tell but with much less flair. It's a more sombre occasion. Is there a link? Is it justvthe same festival but celebrated differently or is it coincidence?  Was one started in order to try to borrow from the other? If you know,  please share in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts