Day 65 - oreos, sportsmen and dudes

I was quite fortunate today, it was National Sportsmanship Day and I've spent most of the day playing and watching volleyball (watching as we didn't make it into the knock out rounds). The tournament in general passed with many a smiling face, people enjoying themselves with fun being the main aim. The players have all been, in general,  very sporting. When you want to win it can be tempting to take points where you can get them, even if you know that the referees decision was wrong, being sporting though is all about how you play and only taking points where they're due. There were however a few tense moments when it came to the final when referee decisions were being questioned and even a moment of gamesmanship, using the rules to your advantage. Thankfully they were dealt with and sportsmanship won the day!

Oreo Cookie Day was fun to celebrate, I quite like an Oreo and tried to share some with my teammates. They were slightly more interested in them than yesterday's Wotsits but they still were not as popular as I thought they'd be. That may be due to the team being highly tuned athletes or maybe just because the biscuits aren't as popular as digestives or bourbon. They're very American and American chocolate is generally less popular than British chocolate, although the way things are going it won't be long until Cadburys tastes like Hershey. I bought a pack for the kids as well so hopefully they'll enjoy them.

I wasn't expecting to be able to celebrate White Chocolate Cheese Cake Day but along came M&S Simply Food to my rescue. I can't get either of my boys to eat cheesecake, you may remember the cheesecake brownie debarcle. They have decided that cheese and cake should not mix and are both too stubborn to test the theory. It didn't matter today as I bought a single portion from the shop in the airport departure lounge. It's a bit rich so I prefer a fruit cheese cake, but who am I to grumble.

I don't have a unique name nor do I know anyone who does so couldn't really do anything for Unique Names Day. Not was I in a position to celebrate Dentists Day. I might have tried to book a check up but it wasn't to be. I will however give my teeth a good clean this evening in their honour.

My kids celebrated Frozen Food Day in my honour as I didn't have a chance.  I would have gone with a frozen pizza if I'd had the chance as it's one of the few food stuffs which still tastes good cooked straight from frozen. I'm a bit of a food snob when it comes to frozen veg (peas and sweet corn only) but its hard to go wrong with frozen pizza.

One celebration which caught me off guard today was Day of the Dude.  A religion (if that's the right word to use) has sprung up which follows the teachings of "The Dude". For those who don't know, the Dude is a character from the film The Big Lebowski. It's a film about mistaken identity and a rug which became a cult classic. The Dude likes to chill and take life easy, he also likes bowling and White Russians. I haven't had much chance to do or have any of those things but it is still possible to follow his preachings regardless and just take it easy. I will therefore try to chill and take it easy on my flight home, meditating  didn't help much on the way here as there was too much to think about, like the plane falling out of the sky or such like.

Tomorrow will be Cereal Day, an opportunity for everyone to take part. It's gonna be a party! 

Comments

Popular Posts