Day 84 - spinach, nougat, purple and anything you fancy

I must start with an apology. I had a mis-celebration. That isn't something I expected to ever have to say. Yesterday was Pecan Day. It turns out that to celebrate Pecan Day I ate almonds. Oops. It was late and I was in a rush. I know that it isn't an excuse, I hold my hands up and beg your forgiveness. I was looking at nuts on my way home and noticed some pecans which reminded me of my error.

First up today I have Nougat Day. I don't know it this is pronounced nugget or noogarr but either way it's quite tasty. I can't remember the last time I ate it so I was pleasantly surprised to find that I like it more than I thought. Nutty and chewy. There was nougat on sale in a coffee shop which was rather expensive for the amount you got. It might just be because it was London or maybe nougat in general is pricy (which would explain why I rarely eat it). I only had a small piece so there is plenty more in the bag to spread the joy. Hopefully it won't be lost in the impending onslaught of chocolate.

Purple Day was easy for me to celebrate as it's my favourite colour.  I wore a purple shirt and tie,  used my purple ruck sack instead of my usual backpack and even went with purple boxer shorts (although you probably didn't need to know that). Purple Day is to raise awareness of epilepsy so hopefully this will be enough to make you the reader intrigued and want to read more on the subject. There was plenty of stuff on Twitter explaining how to help people w
having seizures, it basically says to ensure that they can't come to harm,  loosen tight clothing, time the seizure and stay with them afterwards. As an extra way to recognise the day I was tempted to listen to Prince and eat "The Purple One" but I have plenty of eating to do today as it is.

Make Up Your Own Holiday Day was interesting. It offers so many possibilities, use it as an excuse to do something you've always wanted to do? celebrate something you'll be doing anyway to keep it easy? do something meaningful and worthwhile or frivolous and silly?  There is also the chance that whatever you celebrate already has a day set aside for it. As I was working in London today I decided that I would celebrate Take A Look Around Day. It was going to be Look Up Day as there is so much going on above head height which you don't usually see, and then I thought about Ferris Bueller Day as in life moves pretty fast, stop and look around once in a while and all that. I spotted a few interesting shops which I've not seen before, some odd arty looking buildings and found out that Michael Morpurgo founded a charity about farms for city children. I quite like Take A Look Around Day, it also raises the possibility of listening to the Limp Bizkit song of the same name.

Lastly I finished with a double celebration,  Spinach Day and Falafel Appreciation Day. My wife found a recipe incorporating both, spinach and beetroot falafels. I had to make two mixes, make balls with one and wrap them with the other. My falafels have in the past come out dry and crunchy, these were more squishy. They weren't half bad. I passed a few falafel shops in London today but saved myself for tea and I'm glad I did. I'll make them more often. There is also a nice looking falafel shop in Shrewsbury which I thought about trying today but they are closed on Mondays.  A falafel shop closed on falafel day. They obviously don't read the same websites that I do.

In case you're interested, tomorrow will be Paella Day and International Whisky Day.

Comments

Popular Posts