Day 94 - Star Trek! and other less important stuff

I love Star Trek. I'm putting it out there. I used to watch The Next Generation daily during my formative years and I can still give a synopsis of most episodes simply by watching a short snippet. It's been a while since I watched First Contact but it's still a great film, full of memorable in-jokes and quotes for fans of the TV series. The special effects are looking slightly dated but they don't detract from the story line. Today is Star Trek First Contact Day because the day when humans first met Vulcans was, or rather will be, on 5 April. I celebrated by watching the film and trying to persuade the family to do so as well. I was joined by my parents, my middle child, and for a short period my youngest who was brandishing her Anna doll which was singing songs from Frozen. There is another Star Trek day later in the year and Star Wars day is in less than a month (just) should you want a sci fi fix. As a purest, I question why Picard ends with Make It So rather than Engage but I'll let the other trekkies debate that one. I also thought I heard someone say that the Borg had taken deck 26 although the ship only has 24 decks. Sorry, I'll stop now.

Food wise today was Caramel Day, Burrito Day, Raisen and Spice Bar Day and Deep Dish Pizza Day. I've had a lot of sweet stuff recently so I got my caramel fix from a left over non-mars bar. I would have put some caramel syrup in my coffee but I didn't have any and I tried to persuade a milkshake shop to run a special offer on their salted caramel shakes. It didn't happen.

We did manage to cook a range of deep dish pizzas for tea. Deep dish isn't the same as deep pan, it's the type which have a high crust so that there is s lot if sauce and topping. It's more like a pie than a pizza. The boys weren't as taken by it as normal pizza and Maggie wouldn't touch it. This left me with loads to clear up meaning I was too full to eat my reduced priced burrito. In the freezer it goes. I prefer a thin base but if you're going to try to celebrate every day, these are the sacrifices you have to make.

There were a few more possible days to celebrate such as Bell Bottoms Day, Dandelion Day or Go For Broke Day. Instead I spent some time planning my trip to Berlin next week which meant looking at maps. Today was Read A Road Map Day. I think the idea is to go old school and read a map instead of using sat nav but we can gloss over that. We've  all done the thing where we blindly follow the sat nav which takes us off the motorway and straight back on again as it cuts off the bend, or driven down a track with grass growing down the middle as the machine thought it was a suitable route. Anyway, I am now more knowledgeable about the streets of Berlin than I was before so it was worth celebrating.

Tomorrow is all about beer in case you need to prepare.

Comments

Popular Posts