Day 109 - no music! denied.

Noooo! I was supposed to go to our independent record store today and pretend as those I was living in the world of High Fidelity (if you haven't read the book or seen the film then do so). I was in town and due to go but the buggy got a puncture (note to self - fix puncture) so I got side tracked and didn't remember about the shop until home! Gutted. I say gutted but I don't actually know what would have been available. I think that Record Store Day is supposed to be about vinyl which is no use to me as I don't have a record player. I asked the question on Twitter but nobody answered. There was a lot of anti Record Store Day commentary which was surprising,  mainly from people annoyed with having to pay for songs they already have but in a special box. I never saw the point of buying music in multiple format. I had a friend who was so into Queen that she bought every new release in every format available on the day of release. For me though, the point of the CD or 'll or cassette is the music which is on it. The quality may differ but the song is still the song so I get frustrated when new formats come along. I think that once you've bought an album, you haven't bought the piece of plastic but rather the right to listen to the song. If the album is then released in a new format, as you have a right to listen to it you should just be issued with a copy in the new format if you request it. Can't see it catching on though.

Whilst not listening to a new music purchase I instead drank far more tea than I usually would do for it was Tea Day. My wife also purchased a 'vintage' metal tea pot from  a stall in Shrewsbury's award winning market. It made a good brew. I'm usually a coffee person, tea is for drinking with a fry up, fish and chips, or when my mate Al stops by. I made the exception today. We drink Yorkshire tea in our house. I'm not fussy about brands but my wife is a connoisseur. If you ever find yourself in Vauxhall then it's worth stopping in at the Tea House Theatre. They don't sell coffee, I was informed in no uncertain terms that it ruins tea as the smell overpowers that of tea and destroys the experience. It's a lovely place selling good tea and has plenty of arty stuff going on.

A pleasant accompaniment to Tea Day was Chocolate Covered Cashew Day. Any day which starts with the words "Chocolate covered" is on to a winner. I had some dark chocolate ones where there is more chocolate than nut.  As usual, no interest from the family so all the more for me!

I usually end up celebrating foodie days with lip service being paid to the other celebrations but today saw an event being held in the museum for Fish Migration Day, how could I say no? I took the kids along. The kids made fish on sticks and I found out some interesting facts about migratory fish. The purpose for the event was the draw attention to how many fish can't get to where they need to go as we've built so many dams and weirs in our rivers. One statistic thrown out there was that we have lost 95% of ours eels in the last 20 years. That's a sad statistic, especially for the eels. The nice man showed me a picture of eels as babies (elvers), they start off see through and flat, then start looking like see through worms, then the get their colour and grow. See through animals are just odd. Also, I knew that flat fish have two eyes on the one side of their body so they look peculiar, but did you know that they start off with one on either side and they slowly move around their head? Strange eh? Isn't it a weird world we live in.

Right, I'm off for a cold drink and a spot of ironing. Husband Appreciation Day hasn't really built up any momentum yet but there's still time!

Comments

Popular Posts