Day 112 - pigs in blankets and has been boy bands

America and England are often said to be countries divided by a common language.  At some point in the past we presumably spoke the same language but one went one way and the other took a different path (something about a tea party?). We've been left with numerous naming differences like sweets/candy, crisps/chips and zucchini/courgette.  Today found me having to rethink my menu choices as it was Pigs In A Blanket Day. To me, this simply means the little sausages wrapped in bacon which are typically eaten with Christmas dinner. It does beg the question with the day is celebrated in April rather than on  Christmas Day but if Plum Pudding isn't,  why should pigs in a blanket? Twitter however had a number of posts proclaiming the day to be today, but with photographs of sausage rolls. Something needs sorting out otherwise I'll be heading for a false celebration. After some painstaking research (a quick look on Google) I found that the term is used across the world in numerous cultures and cuisines and basically means a sausage wrapped in something. My favourite was the German which translates as pig in a dressing gown. So I'm safe to cook sausages in bacon without fear of committing a fake celebration. They went down quite well as expected. Once again I find myself feeling sorry for the pig (probably pigs as I doubt the sausages and bacon came from the same pig). Son 1 has expressed an interest in quorn so we can see how that goes.

When I was 13 my parents bought me a double cassette deck with smooth opening action and a tape to tape recording  function. I loved that cassette player and had it until CDs were invented, or at least popularised. At the same time they also bought me the New Kids On The Block cassette "Hangin' Tough".  I played it a fair amount. Little did I know, 27 years later I'd be listening to them again to celebrate New Kids On The Block Day. Apparently they're still going after having formed a super group with the Back street Boys for a short time. The lyrics haven't really stood the test of time and the hair styles were comical but I'm sure that You Got It (The Right Stuff) is due a  cover version if for the bass riff alone. I had intended to make the kids listen to them but I accidentally won a pair of tickets to watch Shrewsbury Town play Peterborough so my plans for further celebrating were pushed aside. In case you're wondering, Town came from behind to win 3-1. A decent second half.

I therefore didn't get to celebrate Firefly Day (the tv series, not the bugs) Sauvignon Bland Day or Lingerie Day. That could have been an interesting combination but thanks to Jump In who provided the free tickets (thank you) we'll never know how it could have turned out. I'll leave it to your imagination. With that thought I bid you adieu.

Comments

Popular Posts