Day 104 - Eggs, elephants and volunteering 2 year olds

Another day with vertigo, another day of half-hearted celebrations. One comedy celebration which was on the cards today was Wear Your Pyjamas to Work Day. To be honest I didn't really intend to do so as I'd have to walk through Birmingham in my Spiderman get up. I'm happy to take part in a group  celebration but when it's just me it tends to look a little silly. I wasn't in any shape to go to work with the dizziness and wearing pyjamas to work from home would kind of defeat the purpose, assuming that it has a purpose.

Their was yet another Librarian Day today and I popped into the libabry later in the afternoon on the way to visit the doctor. I didn't however feel the need to celebrate again as there have been a few Library themed celebrations recently (that and I clear forgot about it until I got home). So far, so bad.

Eggs Benedict Day was however a winner.  I had planned to have some for supper but as I was home at lunch time I whipped up a couple of perfectly cooked poached eggs, an English muffin, some smoked ham (sorry pig) and some Maille hollandaise sauce. It was much cheaper to buy the sauce than to buy the ingredients although I'd quite like to have a go at the sauce one day, when I have more time maybe. I conversed with somebody on Twitter about whether to use ham or bacon, they suggested Canadian Ham which I think is similar to smoked ham. I could be wrong. Lunch was very tasty as a result. The best eggs Benedict I've had was in a b&b just outside Betws Y Coed.  The sauce was just right and the yolks were spot on. For me though, I prefer it with spinach.  Hopefully there'll be an Eggs Florentine Day.

For Save The Elephants Day I took a book out the libabry called Elephants in Danger.  I read it to my daughter. She liked the pictures and repeatedly said "Elephant not hurt Maggie". I'm not sure that she understood the message but hopefully it has gone into her subconscious.  The internet is full of pictures of stupid hunters who still kill for ivory,  or for kicks. I still find it hard to believe that the great Mr Trump lifted the ban on importing ivory into the States. I'm not sure that there's even a poor argument for that one, it's as though he has a list called "Things that I can do just because I can" and he wanted to tick something off.

Day of the Mushroom could have been more mushroomy,  maybe some of that delicious risotto I had yesterday or maybe  a home made mushroom and brandy soup (try it!). We had pasta and I tried some mushrooms to go in it. I went for an understated celebration, so understated that I forgot to take a photograph for the Facebook page. Only my eldest son and I partook and he moaned that one had been sliced too thickly. My bad.

I have no idea what Foursquare is but as it is Foursquare Day I've downloaded the app. If you like folk music there is also a band called Foursquare so today is for them as well.

Finally today it was Teach Your Daughter To Volunteer Day. I tried to do this but as my daughter is 2 years old I'm unsure whether she fully understood.  I explained what volunteering meant and when asked if she understood she said yes. My son then volunteered to get everyone a drink and I explained that this was an example of volunteering.  My wife then asked her to explain what volunteering meant. Based on her response I think we need to work on it a little more, she said "scrambled eggs". She said it with a smile though so that's a start.

There is an important day of celebration  tomorrow,  one which my wife looks forward to every year. I'm sure that she won't mind celebrating her birthday around Haiku Poetry Day though. What rhymes with grey?

Comments

Popular Posts