Day 113 - malaria and toe nail clipping

I usually try to start my blog with a witty yarn about my humourous expoits but today is a little different. Let's talk about malaria? According to the statistics about half a million people die from what is a preventative disease every year with around 25m new cases arising annually. We go on holiday and have to take those nasty tablets, but it's better than the alternative. We have to sleep under special nets whilst on vacation but it's better than being bitten. I searched for a malaria charity and made a small donation to celebrate (or should that be to mark?) World Malaria Day. Whilst doing so though I noticed that there were a few to choose from. I'd have thought that if they have the same aim it would make sense to pool resources. Why have different charities to do the same thing?

Moving on. I didn't do anything for DNA Day. I thought about watching Jurassic Park but I watched that a few weeks ago. I found a DNA testing kit on Amazon to tell you where you come from (or at least where your genes come from anyway) but I'd rather keep my £50 for now. It's cheaper to persuade your parents that it's a good idea for them to do and then get them to share the info.

I didn't see any plumbers today to hug so Hug A Plumber Day passed me by. It's a little ironic (in the Alanis Morrissette not really ironic sense) that we actually had a plumber in the house today doing plumbing, just whilst I was at work so I didn't get to see him. Tomorrow is Hug An Australian Day so if you know any, please send them my way.

For Denim Day I wore my jeans for a while after work.  Oh what a life I lead. Never a dull moment. Jeans are a little odd in that they're the most comfortable at the point when they look like they need a wash. Am I right?

I've never had a manicure or a pedicure so today on Mani-Pedi Day I cut my finger and toe nails.  Rock and roll! Keep them coming. 

Lastly today was East Meets West Day. I assumed this was a fusion cookery thing but found out that it is a day to commemorate when the eastern and western allies met during WWII. The name made me think about Ali G ("West side is best!") but my trusty websites seem to suggest that any kind of East/West celebration would suffice. I watched some of Red 2 whilst ironing (very entertaining film) which has some eastern and western actors in it. I also read about how the Simpsons may be changing how the Indian character Apu is portrayed as he is voiced by Hank Azaria, a white man and maybe after 20 years it would make sense for him to be voiced by an Indian person. Does that count?

In addition to hugging Australians, tomorrow will be Pretzel Day. I doubt I'll have time to bake any so if you fancy making me some dough I'd be grateful!

Comments

Popular Posts