Day 116 - smelly superheroes

Ain't it great to smell stuff? Well, sometimes. With a nose the size of mine,  it's hard not to smell things. Smells can evoke memories and bring out feelings so what better to celebrate on Sense of Smell Day than smelling stuff? Today has included a range of smells, some good, some not so good. The not so good included a nappy (not pleasant), bad breath (yick) and a dog kennel (worse than the nappy) but the good smells far outweighed the bad. Coffee, lasagne, strawberries and flowers. Much better.

I started today with a list of things to celebrate but it expanded drastically as the info started coming in. One I hadn't come across at all was Ed Balls Day. It's the first celebration I've come across dedicated to a politician. So why Ed Balls? Isn't his birthday? is it due to his dancing skills? Nope. It's because on this day a few years ago he sent out a tweet which simply said Ed Balls. Apparently he was trying to search for something and tweeted instead. The celebrations online are quite funny. Macmillan even used it as a chance to raise awareness of the need to check testicles for lumps. I joined  in the fun by tweeting my name. I doubt it'll be retweeted 97,000 times though.

There was only one reference to Tai Chi Day which I came across but that's enough for me! I've never tried Tai Chi so it was a good opportunity to try it out. I found a beginners video on YouTube but it said that the important part is finding 5 minutes every day to do it. So one 5 minute bash isn't going to cut it. I gave it a go all the same. There was a lot of hugging a tree and running hands around a moon.  We're staying with friends this weekend for a christening so I had to do Tai Chi in their lounge. The last time I was here it was Yoga Day. I seem to be making it a habit. I wouldn't be averse to looking for 5 minutes tomorrow but I preferred the yoga.

Go Birding Day was quick and painless. I looked put the window and spotted a pheasant! why hide in a hide when the birds come to you instead? Win!

Superheroes are popular these days aren't they. When I was a lad it was all about Superman, Christopher Reeves and his curl. The Hulk and Spiderman had their own TV shows along with Wonder Woman but that was about it. Nowadays there are more superheroes than normal people. The X-Men films seem to suggest that there are millions if people with super powers. It seems odd in the films when bystanders are amazed by people flying or having super strength as though it's out of the ordinary, yet there are so many heroes that it should be commonplace. Today was an opportunity to immerse yourself in super types. I suggested to the boys that we watch the Avengers cartoon, instead they opted for The Thundermans and Henry Danger, superhero programs on Nickelodeon. The new Infinity War film is out now at the cinema but it isn't something which is screaming out to me. There are so many characters in the trailers that I'd be surprised if there was enough time I  the film for a story.  I'm sure I'll get around to seeing it but Superhero Day isn't it.

Lastly today I'll tell you about my blueberry pie making exploits. It was Blueberry Pie Day and I found a lovely looking recipe to make one. Making pastry however isn't something which is easy to do whilst staying with friends. To make it easier I bought a pack of ASDA's own blackberry and apple pies, scooped out the filling and replaced it with some blueberries which I'd mixed with sugar, cinnamon, flour, lemon zest and juice. I replaced the lids and put them in the oven. Not bad if I do say so myself. We usually just use blueberries for putting on breakfast or for the baby. I've never cooked with them except in a maple syrup sauce. I can now add pie to my list.

Tomorrow is International Dance Day. The Shrewsbury Morris Dancers will be performing at Shrewsbury Castle if you find yourself in the vicinity.

Comments

Popular Posts